Wednesday, January 12, 2011

February Kit of the Month - File Folder Mini Album


This is the sample for the February Kit of the Month on Sale at Life's Memories & More in Palmer, MA beginning Sunday, January 16th. I know that people may be looking for additional information (including dimensions of cardstock, papers & tags) so here's some more info for this very fun project ~
I began by spraying the folder inside & out with Riptide Glimmer Mist Spray & setting it with my heat gun. After it dried I did put it under some weight to flatten out the pages.
The next thing I did was to open the folder & notice on the insde (by flipping down the folded pocket) that I needed to cut 2 slots for the ribbon. I took care of this detail right at the beginning so I wouldn't forget about it.
Moving on to the cover - I added the date on the upper right hand tab using stickers. For the dashes between the numbers I cut down exclamation points. I cut the brown matt 3 3/4 x 7 1/4 & rounded the corners. I cut the patterned paper 3 1/2 x 7 & rounded the corners, too. I then chalked the patterned paper for a finished edge. I adhered the patterned paper to the matt & the matt to the cover of the album. For the letter I attached the chipboard "L" using a pop dot for some added height & then completed the name (Logan) using the alpha stickers. In order to help the letters stand out I simply added white dots freehand. I used 3 orange graduated orange "blings" that I had in my personal stash. Remember that you will be having a 1" inch ribbon cut across your cover - be careful with layout so that you don't cover anything up at the end.
The inside page on the left -- I added a journaling card to the front of the pocket & attached using photo corners. For the tag I cut the teal cardstock 3 1/2 x 6 & then snipped off the corners at a 45 degree angle. I punched a hole in the center, added fibers & a couple of stickers (included in the kit).
The next pocket I cut a 3 x 3 green square & corner rounded only the right side. I found some words that I liked from the celebration paper & cut a 2 1/2 & 2 1/2 square & rounded all corners before chalking. For the tag I cut 3 3/4 x 7 1/2 from the 8 x 8 square. I took the piece of newsprint collage paper & ripped at an angle before chalking. I added one of the file tag words to the top & finished by adding a flourish from the sticker sheet. The tag has fibers from the set threaded through the hole punched in the center.
The 3rd pocket used a leftover piece from the patterned paper used on the cover. I cut it to 3 1/2 x 3 1/2, rounded the corners & added stickers from the sheet. For the tag I cut the lined paper to measure 4 x 7. I added BABY down the left side using alpha stickers. The 2 pieces of vellum at the top came from my personal stash (not included in the kit). I adhered them with vellum adhesive.
The last pocket was covered by cutting a 3 3/4 x 3 1/2 inch piece of the cardstock leftover from pocket 1's tag. I rounded the bottom corners & border punched the top with a Martha Stewart punch. I chalked. I then used the same punch to punch along the edge of a 3 3/4 x 2 inch piece of grey cardstock & chalked the top for contrast. I used my white marker to outline the edges of the punched edge & finished with a sticker from the sheet.
I lined the 4th pocket with a piece of the Celebration word paper cut to 3 3/4 x 7. I rounded the top corners & chalked the edges before adhering. The final tag was cut from the leftover piece of the 8 x 8 paper to measure 4 x 7 & then had the top cut to replicate a tag. Fibers were threaded through the hole punched in the center.
The next step was to thread the ribbon through the 2 slots. Flipping the entire book over I threaded between the 2 [ ] making sure that the ribbon came around the front of the cover & also went behind the back of the whole book. I did adhere the ribbon (when final placement was determined) to the front of the book. Do NOT adhere to the back or you won't be able to open your book ;-)
My final step was to add Terrifically Tacky Tape to the inside of the left side of the 1st pocket & the right side of the last packet & adhered. This keeps all of the pockets from flopping around, but can't be done before the ribbon is all set.
Add photos and journaling of your special day & enjoy this Kit.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim now I am Curious...Firsltly thanks for the package..secondly I am not very sure how come you sent me one...I took a look and i could not figure it out,,,anyway I accept graciously and I am waiting in anticipation.....of to check out your blogs....
    ps.thanks for compliments on mini...i loved making it,and Athina is my favourite niece(only have 1)

    ReplyDelete