On Saturday we picked up the boat for our Danube River Cruise. The weather continued to be cold & dreary, but our spirits were high. We met several people on this trip that were both fun & funny & the time flew by. We traveled on the Danube from Vienna to Nuremberg. We would recommend a river cruise to anyone that wants an easy-going pace, lots of stops along the way & good views (when it wasn't foggy).
After a week we disembarked & began our week in Bavaria. David was determined that every day would be an adventure & he was particularly interested in going to Lichtenstein. By the end of the week we'd covered Lichtenstein, Switzerland, Austria & pretty good chunk of Germany. He did lots of driving on the Autobahns & adjusted to the no speed limit as though he were born to it. The food was wonderful & filling.
After an adventurous week in southern Germany it was time to head to Berlin. We had checked our flight from Berlin to Newark previously & it showed online as confirmed. The flight on 10/31 had taken off, but we wouldn't have been able to get to Newark with the roads/bridges being closed. When we arrived in Berlin we attempted to do online check-in (required within 24 hours of flying). The results - no reservation on file. OH NO! We called Lufthansa (in Germany) & I spoke to an agent that informed me we'd been "no shows" on the first leg of the ticket. As such - they had canceled our reservations. If we wanted to get on the flight they would sell us one way tickets at $2985. PER PERSON. I couldn't imagine that we were being asked to pay for tickets that we'd already purchased. She suggested that we just cancel the first reservation & book roundtrip tickets to Berlin & then not return. That wasn't going to work. I did my best to calmly explain about the storm & where we live in relation to Newark, NJ. She put me on hold a couple of times & finally came back to say that because of the storm - we could fly on our original reservation. I still have to plead our case with Lufthansa for a credit/refund for the first leg, but wanted to do it from the US.
Our trip was an adventure from start to finish, but we came back with wonderful memories & our house weathered the storm. All of our family was able to reassure us (as we watched CNN from Vienna) that they were fine. Thank heavens for email.