Sunday, March 24, 2013

Rhode Island Treasure-hunting

Treasures from The Ocean State

We're back from a fun weekend in Rhode Island.  I'd checked online for any estate sales that might be close enough to check out.  I found 1 in Jamestown & our friend, Mike, was willing to go with me.  David, Katie & Mary listened to the call of the Atlantic Ocean.  It was in the 30s & windy - I think we made the better choice.  The first sale was really a poorly organized garage sale, but I did leave with a baggy of vintage handkerchiefs.  I had a list of local shops & we'd paid to go over the Jamestown Bridge so we went to the first local shop.  This little shop is open for 2 hours twice a week.  Down the stairs we went without too much optimism.  I found a tablecloth for Lauren, a vintag breakfast set (creamer, sugar bowl & egg cup) in a faded yellow.  I could picture it on one of my tablelcoths.  I turned around & found a lazy susan condiment set in turquoise & white.  It was complete & I'm sure I can resell it at a profit.  The gentleman in charge of cashing out gave me a great bulk price & off I went.  A happy gal.  We went to our next store & I found the small Mexican-themed tablecloth on the bottom of the pile [see photo above].  It was in a pile that said, "This & That".  I also brought home some buttons [sorted by color - sweet] & a large platter.  Mike stopped into a nearby comic book store & found some treasures.  He also found a used bookstore & left with a book about Mad Magazine articles.  We headed back to share what we'd found & have lunch at Flo's -- GREAT SEAFOOD!  In the afternoon we went to a large, crowded consignment store & the single purchase was the scale above.  I'd been looking for one.
Today we had to check out of our resort by 10:30.  We had a relaxing breakfast & Katie went to Alex & Ani's with her godparents (now sporting a delicate new bracelet with a virgo charm).  I had asked about shops that carried tablecloths & the woman at the store in Middletown gave me the name of another store, but it didn't open til noon.  Since it was my "birthday weekend" we waited for it to open & I left with the 4 tablecloths on the scale along with a tea towel (still had its tag on) & a yellow tablecloth with 4 napkins.  When I took a look at the cloth I saw that it was still sporting its price tag from Shepards.  I did a google search & Shepards was in Providence, RI until 1973.  The price on the tag was .97.  Hard to believe, but I'm leaving it there ~
Such a good time & I think that everyone found at least 1 thing that made the weekend fun for them.  



No comments:

Post a Comment