Saturday, May 4, 2013

Little Miss Muffet's Tuffet with a Talbot skirt

I found this footstool at a recent estate sale for a good price & wanted to see if I could re-cover it.  Bare bones - nothing but potential.
I had the frame, but I wanted to use what I had on hand to see if I could do this project without a trip to anywhere.  I had a Talbot skirt that I would never fit into again.  Hmm ...
I liked the pale mint color & the big flowers [reminds me of a tablecloth].  I deconstructed the skirt.  Brought it out into the sunshine & thought about the insert.  I had a pillow form that I was going to use with an upholstery remnant (not big enough for the footstool - I checked).  It would be poofy, but I thought I'd like that look.
It took a lot of finagling, but I was on my way.  I was thinking about adding a vintage doily that I had & since it was the right shape & shade I kept laying it on the top.  Not quite done - I wanted a little bit of trim.  I didn't want a big fringe, but wanted the edge to be finished.  Upstairs to see what trims I had.  I found a pretty golden/olive trim that I think is the perfect sclae.  It doesn't fight with the busy pattern.  I glued the trim on, tacked down the doily & voila - a tuffet has arrived. 
I think it needs a stuffed spider if I bring it to the flea market to sell.  I wonder how many people would get the reference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment