Monday, February 14, 2011

Blue Fairy with instructions

This is the captured fairy jar that I created for Mary.  Our friend Mary is from Scotland & longs for the sea.  No matter what time of year (including November in New England) if she's anywhere near the water her shoes come off & she's in up to her ankles.  When I saw a Captured Fairy on Cynthialoowho's youtube channel I knew that I had to make one for Mary.  This is actually a water sprite that was captured, but the process is the same. 
I took an old mason jar that I had & began by sprinkling fairy dust over the inside bottom (aka blue glitter over Mod Podge).   I took some papers that I had that looked oceanic & layered on two of them (fussy cutting some waves) & attached to the back of the jar with ModPodge (over & under the papers to seal them).  [I found that tissue paper works much better for this when I made my pink fairy later in the day.]  While everything was drying I spritzed some cotton batting with Riptide Glimmer Mist & let it dry.  My thought was that this could be the sea foam over the glitter.  I took the butterfly that I had (a small fabric one from a previous project where I gently removed the body) & used Riptide & Lemon Meringue Glimmer Mist & heat set it.  I edged the wings with Crystal Stickles & let it dry for several hours.  I added bling on the circles for some added sparkle.  For the fairy herself I printed her on our printer & colored gently with Q-Tips & Broken China Distress Inks.  I was trying to figure out how she'd stand in the jar & bent the base she was standing on in the picture & attached to a large antique button.  I glued the wings onto the center of her back & bent them by hand.  I attached the button to the glitter-covered base & then added the batting over the button.  I put in flowers, a pearl button [thinking that pearls come from oysters &oysters come from the sea) along with some small, white pearl trim that I had.  I added small seashells that we had gathered to cover up the outside edge of the back paper using my hot glue gun.  I used lace for the base & also around the rim of the jar lid.  I left the jar lid able to be opened so thart Mary can add other treasures to keep her sprite happy.  I made a paper flower for the lid using the Sizzix #3 layered flower die cut & Glimmer Misting with Riptide & spritzing with green Smooch Spritz for some depth.  The final element that I put on was a pearl swirl to the outside of the jar & then a sprinkle of Dazzling Diamonds with a wish.  I attached a tag with the sprite's name, capture date & location with a message for Mary.  This was a labor of love & I am already looking forward to making my next one.  I will be teaching this class on March 26, 2011 at Life's Memories & More in Palmer, MA.  It should be loads of fun ...

No comments:

Post a Comment